Skip Navigation
Welcome to the official website for the town of Princeton, Massachusetts

This table is used for column layout.

Town Seal

Site  This Folder
Marriage License Information
All people who marry in Massachusetts must have a marriage license issued in Massachusetts. A license may be issued in any City or Town in the Commonwealth.

Application Procedure:
  • Both parties must apply together in person at the Clerk's Office.
  • There is a three (3) day waiting period to obtain the license. Three days is counted from the day on which the intention is filed.
Example- If the intentions are filed on Monday the license can be issued on Thursday of the same week. Sundays and holidays are included in the three days, but the day on which the intentions are filed is not.
  • Licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of the intention and may be used in any city or town in Massachusetts. The license is not valid, however, for marriages to be performed outside Massachusetts.
  • Fee for filing intentions in Princeton is $20, and is due at the time of filing; the Clerk accepts only cash or check. The fee includes the license and one certified copy of the license issued after the wedding.
Frequently Asked Questions:

Do I need an appointment at the Clerk’s office?
        No. However, do plan on a minimum of 15 minutes to complete
       the application process.
        PLEASE NOTE - The Princeton Town Hall is not open on Fridays or Saturdays.

Are there any circumstances under which one party can file Marriage Intentions?
  • If one party is in the military, and the other party is a Massachusetts resident, intentions may be filed by the Massachusetts resident alone.
  • If either party is  incarcerated in a county house of correction or a state correctional facility intentions may be filed by either party.
  • If one party is unable to appear due to illness the other party may file the intention alone.
        Contact the Clerk's office for required evidence for these exceptions.

Can the three day waiting period be waived?
        Yes. The three day waiting period may be waived by a court order. File your itentions first before contacting the court.   
         The Worcester County Probate Court is located at 225 Main St., and can be reached at 508-831-2200. Courthouse hours           are 8:00am to 4:30pm. Monday through Friday. The fee for the waiver should be requested at the courthouse.

Are blood tests necessary to get a license?
         No. Blood tests are no longer a requirement.

What if one or both parties are under 18?
         If either party is under 18 a court order from a probate or district court       
          where the minor resides must be obtained before the marriage intentions
          can be filed.

Can an out of state member of the Clergy perform the marriage?
         Yes. Pursuant to the provisions of M.G.L. Chapter 208, Section 39 the     
          Secretary of State may authorize the solemnization of a marriage by
          an out of state member of the Clergy.
          Please visit for information and          
          application form.

Can a friend or relative of mine perform the marriage ceremony?
         Yes. A “One Day Marriage Designation” is required. Please visit     
       One Day Marriage Instructions  for information and application form. Be advised that the application must be received
          by the Governor’s office 6 weeks prior to the ceremony.


Town of Princeton, 6 Town Hall Drive, Princeton, MA 01541