TOWN OF PRINCETON
BOARD OF SELECTMEN
PROCEDURES FOR FILLING POSITIONS, SUBJECT TO THE BOARD OF SELECTMEN APPOINTMENT, WHERE TERMS HAVE EXPIRED AND/OR VACANCIES HAVE ARISEN.
A. Positions for which terms will expire by operation of law on June 30th:
1. The Town Administrator shall place the reappointment issue on the agenda for the first Board of Selectmen’s meeting in May.
2. If the Selectmen decide that they would like to reappoint the person whose term is expiring then the Town Administrator will be instructed to contact the official by May 30th and determine whether that person wants to be reappointed.
3. At the first Board meeting in June, the Town Administrator shall present the Board with a list of those who want to be reappointed and Selectmen shall vote on whether to reappoint those persons.
4. In addition at the first Board meeting in June, for all positions for which there will be a vacancy, the Town Administrator shall be directed to advertise the open position for two weeks, review the applications and present the information and recommendations to the Board at the last June meeting.
B. Appointment when an unexpected vacancy arises in an unexpired term:
1. Whenever an unexpected vacancy arises in either an elective or appointed office, the Town Administrator shall put the vacancy issue on the agenda for the next Board meeting.
2. In the case of an elected office, the Board will make a determination at that meeting regarding whether to hold an election or not.
3. At that same meeting, in the case of an appointed position, and in the case of an elected official for which the Selectmen have decided not to hold a special election, the Town Administrator shall be directed to advertise the open position for two weeks, review the applications and then present information and recommendations to the Board at a meeting within four (4) weeks.
4. The Board shall appoint a person to fill the vacancy at the meeting wherein the information and Town Administrator’s recommendations are made.
C. It is the intent of the Board of Selectmen to follow this procedure. Failure to follow the procedure, however, will not impair in any way the validity of appointments made by the Board of Selectmen.