ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Road Advisory Committee (RAC) is charged with advising and assisting the Selectboard (SB), Town Administrator (TA), and Highway Superintendent (HS) on matters relating to the road-related infrastructure of the Town. This involved the maintenance and reconstruction of bridges, culverts, and roads. Specifically, the RAC:
- Focuses primarily on identifying the medium to long-term needs of the Town’s bridges, culverts, and roads.
- Advocates for and works to secure local, State, and Federal funding for the Town’s bridges, culverts, and roads.
- Educates and informs residents, as requested by the HS, TA, or SB, on road-related issues coming before residents at Town meetings and elections.
- Works collaboratively with the HS who, in turn, reports to the TA.
- Works closely with the HS to identify issues, determine priorities, and schedule work relating to major Town road-related infrastructure.
- Works closely with the HS to develop and maintain a multi-year road plan that is shared with the TA, SB, and Advisory Committee for budget and warrant discussion and preparation.
- Assists the HS with managing certain aspects of road-related projects for the Town. This involves, but is not limited to, working with an engineering consultant to design and prepare road RFPs and bid packages, scheduling meetings with residents, taking residents on informational road walks, and working with the Tree Warden, if necessary, to determine the number of trees needed to be removed relative to the completion of a road project.
The RAC shall consist of five (5) full members, including the Chairperson. Members shall be appointed by the Selectboard and shall not serve on the Committee until so appointed. Up to two (2) alternate members may also be appointed, but an alternate member would not be permitted to vote unless there was a full member absent.
All members shall be sworn in by the Town Clerk within fourteen days of their appointment.
Such persons shall be appointed on a rotating basis, each for a three (3) year term.
Vacancies shall be filled by the Selectboard; such term shall expire at the end of the original term.
VOTING RIGHT OF MEMBERS
All voting rights shall be vested in the members, and each full member shall be entitled to one vote, through a call of the roll or written ballot, with respect to any question or matter, which may come before a meeting of the members of the Committee. No more than 5 members (either by combination of full members or alternate members) may vote at any given time.
The officers of the Committee shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, and a Secretary.
Officers of the Committee shall be elected at a meeting of the RAC to be held soon after the annual (re-)appointment of members by the SB by majority vote of the members present, and shall take office upon election.
Election of officers to fill vacancies created by death, resignation, or other cause, may take place at any regular or special meeting and shall be for the period of the unexpired term of the previous incumbent.
The Chair shall be responsible for scheduling meetings, setting agendas and ensuring they are posted appropriately per the Town’s policy on agendas, presiding (to the best of his/her ability) at all meetings of the RAC, ensuring the committee obeys the Open Meeting Law, keeping the SB, TA, and HS informed.
2. Vice Chair
During the absence or disability of the Chair, the Vice-Chair shall exercise all the functions of the Chair and, when so acting, shall have all the powers and be subject to all the restrictions of the Chair.
The Secretary Shall:
a. Record meeting minutes of all meetings of the RAC per the Town policy on meeting minutes.
b. Submit approved minutes in a timely fashion to the Town Clerk for posting and record retention purposes.
MEETINGS OF MEMBERS
Section 1 - Regular Meetings
Regular meetings shall be held in a town building.
In accordance with the provisions of the open meeting law, (Chapter 39, section 23B, M.G.L.) the RAC shall provide (at least) forty-eight business-hours notice and posting of its meetings.
Section 2 - Quorum
At all meetings of the members of the RAC, the presence of a majority of the members shall be necessary and sufficient to constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. No deliberation or voting shall take place without a quorum.
Section 5 - Voting
The vote of at least a majority of the RAC members present shall be necessary and sufficient to decide such question or matter, except as may otherwise be provided in this document.
Section 6 - Resignation
In the event that a member wishes to resign, the member must notify both the Town Clerk and the TA. Notifying the Chairperson is encouraged.
Section 7 - Attendance
Regular attendance is expected of all members. In the event of absence by any member, for three (3) consecutive meetings, or four (4) absences during any calendar year, except by prearrangement with the Chairperson or for for reasons of health or extenuating circumstances, as duly reported to the Chairperson in advance of the RAC meetings, the RAC should request resignation of the member through the Chairperson.